1966 – 2016
1966 : Long hair
2016: Longing for hair
1966 : KEG
1966 : Acid rock
2016: Acid reflux
1966 : Moving to California because it’s cool
2016: Moving to Arizona because it’s warm
1966 : Trying to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor
2016: Trying NOT to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor
1966 : Seeds and stems
1966 : Hoping for a BMW
2016: Hoping for a BM
1966 : Going to a new, hip joint
2016: Receiving a new hip joint
1966 : Rolling Stones
2016: Kidney Stones
1966 : Screw the system
2016: Upgrade the system
1966 : Disco
1966 : Parents begging you to get your hair cut
2016: Children begging you to get their heads shaved
1966 : Passing the drivers’ test
2016: Passing the vision test
1966 : Whatever
2016 : Depends
And…just in case you weren’t feeling old enough, this will certainly change things.
Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of this year’s incoming freshmen.
Here’s this year’s list:
- The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1998.
- They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.
- Their lifetime has always included AIDS.
- Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
- The CD was introduced 7 years before they were born.
- They have always had an answering machine.
- They have always had cable.
- They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
- Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
- They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
- They can’t imagine what hard contact lenses are.
- They don’t know who Mork was or where he was from.
- They never heard: “Where’s the Beef?”, “I’d walk a mile for a Camel”, or “de plane, Boss, de plane.”
- They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. even is. Mc Donald’s never came in Styrofoam containers.
- They don’t have a clue how to use a typewriter.
Do you feel old yet?